Types of Colitis
Inflammatory bowel diseases are classified by its etiology. There are six different types of colitis.
• Autoimmune Colitis-this form of IBD consists of Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.
• Idiopathic IBD-this is a microscopic colitis that requires diagnosis by a microscope as the colon tissue appears normal to the naked eye. This type of inflammatory bowel disease includes Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis.
• Iatrogenic Colitis included Diversion Colitis and Chemical Colitis.
• Vascular disease can produce Ischemic Colitis.
• Infection leads to Infectious Colitis.
• Unclassified Colitis included Indeterminate Colitis and Atypical Colitis. These colitides do not conform to any typical form of colitis. Fulminant IBD is a colitis that quickly becomes very severe.